Wednesday 23 September 2009

Secret Diary. (quite long I`m afraid).

We woke (Myself, Louise and Grace, Harry was sleeping around his Nana`s, the day would have been too much for him) at 06:45 hrs on the Sunday Morning. Up, showered, dressed and setting off by 07:30 hrs, with a view to reaching Jon`s house about Half Eight to Nine o`Clock. Jon lives on the route of the GNR and his road is closed from Nine am. It`s usually about forty to fifty minutes from Boro to Newcastle, but we wanted to accomodate for the expected heavy traffic.

The roads were so quiet you could have hunted deer. We reached Jon`s house at 08:15 hrs. The Kitsons were still in their pyjama`s and about to get showered, but fantastic host`s as they are, they never complained for a second. I hadn`t met Jon in over twelve years, and was a little nervous, but that vanished within a minute or so. I met jane, who is a talented musician, who teaches piano, and Daniel, who loves all things Star Wars. Grace and he got on just fine.

Travelling on the Newcastle Metro with a banjo is an experience. I noticed all the other runners looked incredibly fit. The carriage stunk to high Heaven of Ralgex, and Deep Heat, and throbbed with an atmosphere of anticipation. By now I was really enjoying the occasion. The odd person would look over at this odd person, and I noticed a couple would smile and say to their partners " Cool, a banjo" or similar.

It was a further mile, possibly two to get to the starting point. I kissed the family, and told them I`d meet them at the finish line. The PA hammered out Queen`s "We will Rock you", and standing at the back, seeing 50,000 people doing the clap clap hands in the air dance was amazing.

Forty minutes after the starting gun was fired by Sting, I reached the starting line, shook hands with Sting, who said "cool banjo mate", and a funny thing happened. I started running. I was amazed, I had promised myself that I wouldn`t run any of it, as I did not want to a) damage my knee, or b) peak too early, but the crowd carried me along. I was able to play the basic scruggs rolls, and also the thumb, downward strum quite nicely, and this helped with my rhythm for the running.

After half a mile, I began to walk, and this was the point when I realised what I was doing, and that I could actually play the banjo for the duration. Although quiet, as I had taken the resonator from the back, it was audible, and the fellow GNR chaps, were all so encouraging, slapping my back, and telling me this was excellent.

Then came the Tyne Bridge. The Red Arrows had recently flown over, and the remanants of the smoke display was still in the air. As i stepped on the bridge I played Amazing Grace for me Mam, followed by Cripple Creek for Trevor, Wildwood Flower for Alan, Ballad of Jessie James for Toby`s Father in Law, Foggy Mountain Breakdown for Mike, and finally Cowboy Waltz for Lily.

The following twelve miles were just heavenly. Dodging little Geordies throwing water at the banjo was fun, and the kindness of the spectator`s, many of whom came out offering food and drink, was incredible. However if i hear "How mate, ken I pley yewar Geeeetoorrr" one more time......

Finally down the slope, and there`s the sea! Blimey I`ve nearly finished. The sea air coupled with the anticipation gave me a boost, and I jogged down the slope and onto the final mile along the coast. People who had already completed the run, were walking back, and this was were i got my most encouragement. I debated whether to run the final mile, but came to the realisation, that this was never about a PB. So I chose to stroll along the final mile, stopping occasionally to let the kids hear the music, and strum the strings if they wanted.

Ten metres from the end, a guy came over with a microphone, and asked me if i`d play something over the PA system, which is how I found myself playing "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" to thousands of people on the South Shields Coast. Funny thing is, ten months ago, I couldn`t play this bloody drum on a stick!

Finally meeting up with the family, it took a further two hours to get back to Jon`s, and an hour to get home. At 19:00 hrs, I stepped over the front doorstep of my house. Shattered.

And so I completed the Great North Run, whilst simultaneously playing the banjo. If you think that`s strange, some daft buggers ran it!

Learn something new,

Mark.

3 comments:

  1. Well done mate - fantasic effort. Now lets get some practice in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had look at the highlights on the BBC I player check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mydtn/Athletics_2009_Great_North_Run_Highlights/
    you're 24 mins 42 secs - classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done that lad.
    Sounds like you had a great day!
    Saw your moment of glory on the highlights,, never mind about the racing hairdo, given time it might improve. Perhaps a beard might help?
    So what's next?--The galloping Nephrons?

    ReplyDelete