Thursday 13 August 2009

37 days to go and our brave new world.

There is a certain amazement which engulfs me when exposed to rank idiocy of the highest order. Whether it`s Sarah Palin stating on American TV that Stephen Hawking is American because of his accent (Think about it), or the time someone asked a colleague how old their son was, and when informed that the little lad was eighteen months old that day asked "oh so it`s his Birthday then?"

At times I do feel we are breeding a nation of idiots, and increasingly aggressive idiots. And none more so as whilst out either walking or jogging, the compulsion these hairless apes feel to lean out of windows and shout insults is breathtaking. Now in my time whilst out jogging on the streets, I have had a football kicked (with force) in the direction of my face, countless people almost falling out of car windows to tell me to "Get your legs up you fat " you can guess the rest, and on more than one occasion had someone push their mate into me causing me to come off the pavement into the road.

But nothing compares to the story a fellow "runner" was telling me today. He was jogging along a road, when a kid who could have been no more than 6, walking towards him, flicked an elastic band at him, hitting him in the eye. When the fella confronted the little charmer, His older brother stepped out of nowhere and punched him calling him a "F*&$*&G Paedo". The guy running got out of there as quick as he could, but Jesus, is it me? Are there any answers that don`t involve long walks and short cliffs. People are out running trying to make themselves better people, they`re not out there wanting any trouble, they`re not out there being the big man, they`re just out running.

So if you do see a big person out running, just think, before they reach their destination, there is a high likelihood that they will be the victim of verbal or physical aggravation, most likely from someone they`ve never even met, just because they`re trying to get a bit fitter.

Here`s Tom with the Weather. (It`s a Bill Hicks thing)

2 comments:

  1. when I used to run (can't afford to loose any more weight so I dont run now) I didn't like an audience in case my running looked like Phoebe off Friends, so I'd run up Eston hills (I no thats ok coz I live at the bottom of em) but with bearly another sole around and softer ground being better for my aging joints it was a fix!
    surely you could find somewhere local, without any locals, instead of pounding the streets of Boro.
    even jumping in the car and driving to an open space could be a solution.
    Boys are nasty..........throw rocks at them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the running in the countryside thing (Eston Hills, Flatts Lane walkway etc) but as daft as it sounds I love running around the streets of Boro. It feels strangely nice to be able to tell the kids that i`ve ran up and down Linthorpe Road without stopping. Yes i know it`s weird. I`ve found that one answer is to run at daft o` clock, or when it`s raining. Rain is like boroscouse kryptonite.

    Boy`s are nasty aren`t they.

    ReplyDelete