Saturday 15 August 2009

36 days to go, Spongebob, and the ukulele

Afternoon Strumpets (see what I did there),
I have received the Great North Run guide to the big day, and it has an elevation profile which has made me a little nervous. It looks like quite an incline at around five miles, which may be a bit tricky (what with the knee and all that). I can`t write this without smirking in a Finbarr Saunders type way but i may have to put a strap on, fnarr fnarr. Time to get walking up some hills I think.

A friend at work asked me the difference between a ukulele and a banjo. The uke is a great instrument, and ideal for kids as either an instrument in it`s own right, or as an introduction to guitar. Gracie and Harry (my kids) love playing with it, hitting all the right notes, (but not necessarily in the right order Sunshine). Something that always makes me laugh is when Louise (me wife) bought me my Uke from Middlesbrough Music, Tony asked her "Now you do know this isn`t a toy guitar don`t you?" She just looked at him. Fantastic.

Tuned to GCEA, (with, similar to the five string banjo, the first string (G) being the highest in pitch, unlike guitar which has pitch in ascending order from 1st to sixth string) chords can be played very simply. I always think of Laurel and Hardy in I think Sons of the Desert, singing "Honolulu Baby" when I look at mine. It also features prominently in Spongebob Squarepants, and Lilo and Stitch so that`s an angle to come at the younger kids with.





Here`s a little something which lovers of the Davies voice may want to watch on mute!




We have my daughters "boyfriend" sleeping over tonight, so i doubt whether I`ll get anything else posted, so until the next one, Keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment