Friday 1 April 2011

The Alice Charmers, live at The Sessions, Doc Browns. 31/03/11.

Morning Strumpets,

Last night was The Alice Charmers first gig proper in their hometown of Middlesbrough. As is the way of the Charmers, we arrived too late for a soundcheck, so had to blag it with the sound mixer whilst playing. There`s a brilliant clip on the accompanied YT vid, of Rikki (Mr Doolan, who`s brainchild the Sessions are, and all round good fella and lover of music)checking out the bass amp, for levels, before realising, I hadn`t turned up the volume on my bass!

On top of this, the pick ups which Carl and Andy were using were not working through the PA system, so Andy had to play my banjo, or his banjo mic`d up through a standard vocal. Carl had to play my guitar. As a result of this, and also a crammed lineup of other bands, we had to edit our setlist significantly. Rikki has told us just to let him know when we can play next, and we`re in, so we`ll be much better prepared next time.

My fellow charmers didn`t feel that they had played well, but on that particular stage it`s difficult to hear your balance from the monitors. Everyone said that the mix was pretty good, and I think this comes across in the vid (and subsequent others to be posted later).

I have to say that the population of Middlesbrough did us proud, and the place was crammed. Nerves, we`ll have none of that, and into the set we launched with this song. By the Fire is unusual in as much as it`s the only Charmers song so far which all three of us have contributed to. Andy wrote the music, and myself Carl and honorary charmer Peebee Guttenberg came up with the words.



Till the next one, learn something new.

Mark.

2 comments:

  1. I am touched-well that's what the Missus says-to be"an honorary Charmer" makes me feel a bit like Tymon Dogg and his relationship to the "101ers"

    ReplyDelete