Saturday 19 March 2011

Shady Grove.

Evening Strumpets,

Here`s a good reason for picking up a new instrument. You find music and artists you feel you`ve known all your life, but you`ve never heard before. If I had never picked up this drum on a stick I would never have heard of Sufjan Stevens, or Patrick Costello, or the amazing Doc Watson, whom I am ashamed to admit I had never heard of before. What a performer, and who, I`m reliably informed, turned 88 last week.

Here`s a version of one of his most well known songs (I`m informed again). It`s rough as I`d only just worked it out, and apart from the, I think anyway,(ahem) Kubrickian editing style of the clip, I know it`s being played far too fast, but what can I tell you, learning new songs gets me excited, and it takes a while to get the tempo right, especially when playing solo. (Is it me or is this all sounding a bit double entendre-ish, for all the British readers FNARR FNARR)!

Anyway here it is.



Hope you like,

Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment