Friday 1 October 2010

Open mic All Hours

Evening Strumpets,

I`ve been thinking a lot lately about The joy that is Open Mic nights. More often than not, these are really nice nights where a pub which is finding the old recession, along with daft prices in the supermarkets a barrier in getting the "punters" in. As a result, you can find yourself in a pub, which ten years ago would have been full to the rafters, playing banjo to four blokes and a dog. And that is not necessarily a bad thing, because the actual act of getting up and hearing yourself amplified can at times be a particularly effective laxative.

I`ve had the misfortune on a couple of occasions to witness really talented musicians dry up, and virtually run out of the pub, never ever again daring to get up and display their talent. This is such a shame, because you realise really early on, that everyone pretty much in the pub is on your side. They`re willing you to do well, but the pressure we put on ourselves doesn`t allow, at first, us to see that.

I first played an open mic in The George and Dragon in Yarm on St Georges Day 2009. More than that I was playing me banjo, which I`d been playing since Dec 26th 2008. Do the maths, that is not a long time. But I`d been promised by a friend who`d heard me play that I`d go down a storm.

I practised Cripple Creek a million times. I took the banjo to work with me, and practised in me dinner break. But when the mouth is dry, the phrase "Cripple Creek" is about as simple to say as Deoxyribonucleic acid. Too many "K" sounds. That was me song. That was the one I could play, but would I dare sing?

I got there on the night and it was heaving. I was told I`d be second on. I waited with me half a diet coke, and waited, and waited. Eventually the first lad got up, and as he did the place suddenly filled with about thirty people with T-shirt with his name on, all screaming for his "songs" He was good at first, but to be honest he went on a bit and he was losing the rest of the punters aside from his fanbase. Right there I made a valuable decision. If I was ever going to have a crack at this open mic stuff, it would have to be with a mix of a song for them, a song for me.

I got up and played, and it was an absolute blast. I decided to sing, and truth be told it wasn`t too bad. Such a buzz people coming up to me afterwards and telling me how much they enjoyed it.



I`ve since played quite a few open mics, mostly at The Crown and Princess Alice. On Wednesday in the Alice for the first time I played nothing but four songs of me own, (Great North Strum, Whole, Time Less Classic, and Sick on My Shoulder) and they went down really well. Ian Swinbourne, a guy who has such a talent, was there. He has been asking me for a while to go to Loftus on a Thursday for their open mic, but it`s a heck of a distance, and I`ve always passed, purely as it would mean getting home really late.

Ian promised that if I got there he could guarantee an early slot. So I went. The first person i saw when i got there was Vin Garbutt! A real legend. Blimey, this was not going to be any ordinary open mic spot.



I got up and played "GNS" and "Sick" and had some cracking banter with the (busy and very talented) crowd. And that was that, until Mr Garbutt came over and told he`d really enjoyed me songs. How cool is that. I was smiling all the way home.

All I`m saying is, I could have gotten to this age without ever having had the joy and pleasure that is playing S Club 7 or the Stranglers on the banjo to a bunch of bemused seasoned drinkers. I strongly urge anyone with any talent to get up on an open mic night, it could lead to you driving home with the biggest smile on your face.



Till the next one, learn something new.

Mark.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post Mark.

    I think open-mic nights are great for all those musicians whoa are looking for a springboard, whether it's to boost a career or their confidence.

    I played at The Princess Alice open-mic night around the beginning odf the year, and unfortunately, I froze.
    Now, I'd been playing these open-mic nights for quite a few months, and have no exact idea why I froze. (I think there was a few reasons I've been giving myself that I won't start going into now). I think the fear could hit anyone at anytime, even the most experienced musician, you just need to think about why it hit you, and try your best to get back on the saddle. In personally haven't got back onto the open-mic saddle yet, but I have had a few solo acoutic stints since then.

    As far as a springboard into a career goes (as I previously mentioned). Since me starting to play at these open mic nights, I have had several gig offers, some of which I've taken up, and been asked to join two bands. I'm still in one of these bands, and even though it's fairly new, we're on the brink of taking that leap onto the great musical machine.

    Basically, what I'm really trying to say is, and I'll keep this short and in the simplest form of language currently available, Open-Mic FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen you play live at Liberty`s on Linthorpe Road Chris, and the feedback from Aero Garbazo from the Alice, all I can say is You have a genuine talent which, I think the world is a better place for experiencing. Good on you mate for coming back.

    ReplyDelete