Sunday 31 January 2010

A load of old B*llocks, and "No more Heroes"

Jim in Philadelphia wrote to me asking what the word "bollocks" meant as he had read English people writing this on Youtube clips. I replied:

"It can mean many things. usually if something is b*llocks, it means that it is either untrue, or rubbish. as in "That`s a load of B*llocks, and you know it" or "I watched Middlesbrough (my hometown team) playing football last night, and they were b*llocks", or of course, "Never mind the B*llocks, here`s the Sex Pistols"

B*llocks also mean testicles, "I got hit in the B*llocks by a Cricket ball"

And I`m laughing me head off writing this!

However if something is described as being "the dog`s b*llocks" it means that is really good, sometimes abbreviated to just "the dog`s".

It makes no sense, but that`s English for you! Ironically, you could describe this as a "load of old Bollocks" ".

He replied "Thanks Mark for that explanation. So, if you posted a banjo video and I tagged it as "It sounded like a dogs b*llocks", You would consider it a compliment?"

You`ve got to love it!

Talking of a load of bollocks, here`s my version of "No More Heroes" by the Stranglers.



Learn something new,

Mark.

1 comment:

  1. Proudly displayed ----- Just like the dogs bollocks!
    Only a Brit will ever understand our perfect language, but an Aussie tries hard and a Kiwi gets everything but the vowells.
    Bless em for trying though.

    ReplyDelete