Thursday 1 July 2010

Englands Lying Hearts.

Evening Strumpets,

It pains me to write this, but I no Longer love the English Football Team. A couple of weeks ago I was so excited. I even learnt Three Lions on the banjo (not easy by the way), to celebrate the beginning of the World Cup.

I sat full of anticipation believing that this year, this year could be the year that the sport I grew to love watching Boro Reserves on cold winter evenings in the early Seventies, surrounded by the fug of hand rolled cigarettes and pipe smoke whilst osmosing the foulest language I would only hear on the occasional "Play For Today" before Dad turned over, that sport could allow me to be a member of a winning team in my lifetime.

And it started so well. A goal, and a good one after six minutes. And then reality bit. I don`t hold with we`re not good enough. We are, pure and simple. I don`t hold with winter breaks. Tevez never had one. I do think there is some ground for looking at redeveloping Youth Football, but I don`t think that`s it either. I also don`t blame Fabio. You simply do not become a shit manager overnight.

I blame the players. I blame the fact that whenever anyone discusses their wages, they use the verb "earn". Stop me if i`m wrong, but they don`t "earn" the wages they are on, they are paid the wages they are on. I blame the fact that they are too busy making adverts, for more money, instead of training. I blame the fact that they employ Agents and PR personnel to make sure they have the correct image, in order to make more money. I blame the fact that they can assault people in nightclubs, ruin lives,even kill families, and still be welcomed back into Clubs, and cheered when they run onto a pitch. I blame the fact that when they`re asked to go for four weeks without any distractions, they can`t. I blame the fact that they spend more time on the front pages than the back. I blame the fact that Someone like Joey Barton, will be playing Premiership football in five weeks time. I blame the fact that in six weeks time, when the football season is well underway, people will forget just how let down we have been by these overpaid, overhyped, and overhere players.

It happened with Middlesbrough FC a few years ago. I realised that I should be the Fan that they deserve. I occasionally go to the odd match, if there`s a free ticket. To paraphrase Bill Shankly. "Football is not a matter of life or death, it`s much more profitable than that"

Here`s a couple of vids of the slide. Hope you like them,





Till the next one learn something new,

Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment