Saturday 21 January 2012

200.

Evening Strumpets,

So here it is, The Great North Strum`s 200th Post. Well let me personalise it a bit more for you, it`s Mark Davies`s 200th post. Me. Mine.

I`ve been looking for a grand gesture for the 200th, and many suggestions have been made, most of which are inspired and will without a doubt make up the next fifty to a hundred posts, including an absolute bona fide interview with a personal legend of mine. For those intrigued, he`s probably the finest Radio 1 DJ that John Peel and John Walters shared an office with.

However, This Blog would not have ever appeared if I hadn`t run the daft idea of completing the Great North Run whilst playing a banjo, past Louise. And when I asked my beautiful wife what she thought I should do, she just said "well thank the Strumpets who have supported you over the past few years."

So in no particular order,

Andy Dalton; By a massive fluke you decided to learn to play the banjo about a year before I did. You then set up the amazing Northern Banjo Boy Site http://www.northernbanjoboy.com/and have been a source of inspiration, amazement, and let it be said, non provider of drum brushes ever since. You came up with the name of my blog and for that I will be eternally grateful. Cheers Andy.

Mark Dent; A brilliant guitarist, but a human metronome on the old drums, who has helped me to "pace it a little" for Christs sake. I am and will be forever, one of Dave`s Pups. If ever I`m getting idea`s above my station, one look from you, and I`m back down on Earth. Thanks Denty.

Mountain Spring California; I have no idea who you are, but you keep on checking the blog! if you could let me know who you are that would be wonderful.

Mr Benjamin Harrison; An amazingly talented fella who has had to put up with a lot of tragic events over the last couple of years. He designed the GNS logo that sits atop the blog. Massive thanks Banjoman.

PeeBee Guttenburg; For confidential reasons, I can`t tell you this fella`s real name, but his support, contribution, talent, and downright PUNK spirit has kept mine an so many else`s blog`s voraciousness tickling the uvula of the Muse from which we profit. (spoiler alert!!!!) Cheers Brian

Carl; My Glitter Twin. The person who made me want to play the guitar, and who has continued to do so for the last thirty years. Blood Brother (literally) and main role model (my family included) for my adult life, I can`t think of a single time we`ve been together, and not been smiling by the end of the reminiscence. You are, and always will be, Dalton. My Dalton.

Stephen; My Brother from another Mother. Mr Didlick, you and your amazing family have never ceased to surprise me in your generosity of spirit along with the support and, ahem, constructive criticism which has been a constant in guiding what I have hoped to achieve with the blog. Plus your knowledge of Springsteen and Andy Kaufmann has always helped. Cheers Dids.

Louise; She`s the absolute love of my life. She make`s it great to be me. What more can I say. I love her more than a football in the Park loves kids.

And finally Mary Lydia.

Mam bought me my first guitar. She encouraged me to go to the perceived mental places (Tom Waits, Lowry, etc), she told me "know the game before you learn the rules"

Most importantly she told me the most important thing about art, and being an artist. It`s the one rule I impart upon Harry and Grace and I implore you to teach your kids, and that rule is.......

Know when to stop!

Till the next one, learn something new.

Mark

3 comments:

  1. Brian(wot is PeeBee)22 January 2012 at 01:14

    I'm speechless-thanks for the kudos Marky.Whilst you are the conduit(through which the blood, sweat, toil and tears pass) -of G.N.S. you have confirmed for me that when we all get together we make something bigger than ourselves and your recognition of that fact (in the words of the Simpsons)"enbiggens the man."
    You da Man!(Hey the word verification thingy is "Tusche"-for this comment-rather apt!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'd known I'd have asked for a fee, keep going mate!

    As carl says 'most bands are looking for a banjo player on one song - we've got two on all of 'em! how great is that' ;$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To acquire 1 Banjo player is unfortunate:to acquire 2 appears to be negligent :a third would be "HeavyMetalBlueGrassOldTimey Hell"-go for it!

      Delete