Tuesday 23 February 2010

Getting Better.

Evening Strumpets,

Last Wednesday, I went to the Open Mic spot at the Crown, banjo and mix of stuff in tow. I got there and Jake (I suppose you`d call him the MC for the night, but the youth who may be reading this are probably laughing at Grandad Davies), greeted me,as always, with enthusiasm and encouragement. Like the Second week, when I`d gone on about fourth (as opposed to second the first week) he asked me if I`d mind going on a bit later so there`d be a few more people in to watch.

Three things happen here. First, woohoo going on later usually means a nicely warmed up and lubricated crowd. Secondly Not so woohoo, more time to be nervous, thirdly, about a million miles from woohoo, no drinking until I get off. I`m not good enough on the banjo yet to be able to play without really concentrating, and unfortunately drink tends to get in the way of that.

So the first couple of acts came on, and they were really good, Then a few more, then a few more until there was only me and a band called Bare Phut left to play. Bare Phut are incredibly talented, and play with hearts the size of spacehoppers. They played next. Blimey, I was going on last.

I got up just before midnight, and God bless them all, they were really sweet and supportive. What a night! Massive thanks to everybody there! Unfortunately i can`t get there this week, but I`ll definitely be there next week as they`re setting up a Kazoo challenge, and I have an idea which could be a doozy.

Till the next one always ask questions and learn something new,

Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment